NAIROBI (Sh.M.Network) — The Kenyan government has ordered investigations into the recent killings of security officers and civilians in northwest region of Samburu and Garissa town in northern region.
A statement issued on Thursday evening said the Cabinet which met under the chairmanship of President Mwai Kibaki in Nairobi approved the establishment of an inquiry into the killing of security officials and the subsequent destruction of property in Baragoi and Garissa.
“President Mwai Kibaki has approved the establishment of an inquiry into the killings of security officials and the subsequent destruction of property in Garissa and Baragoi,” said the statement.
At least 42 police officers were brutally murdered on Nov. 10 in Samburu in the northwestern part of the East African nation.
The slain police officers were massacred while on a mission to hunt cattle rustlers in Suguta Valley after being ambushed and shot arbitrarily by heavily armed militiamen believed to have come from Turkana.
The armed bandits laid an ambush in Lomelok area before spraying the officers with bullets in an attack that baffled the local administration as well as residents of Baragoi.
The National Police Service Commission (NPSC) announced last week that they have launched investigations into the Baragoi massacre.
The Commission chairman, Johnston Kavulundi, termed the Baragoi massacre as a big blow to the police force and promised to conduct thorough investigation into what really took place.
He noted that the majority of the officers killed in the ambush were young officers who were very new in the job and were in the process of being socialized into the force.
In Garissa, at least two people have since died from bullet wounds and dozens of others injured following a security operation mounted by the police and Kenya Defense Forces (KDF) after the killing of three soldiers by unknown gunmen on Monday.
The military began operations on Monday when five KDF soldiers were attacked by unknown assailants at a local garage while changing a flat tyre on their truck.
Property worth millions of shillings was later destroyed by fire while others were gutted down by angry youth during the clashes between security officers and the locals due to security operation.
“The President also approved the reconstruction of the destroyed Garissa market and said the government will help facilitate the traders to resume operations as soon as possible,” the statement said.
However, the military have since denied committing any atrocities in the northern town of Garissa which remained a no go zone on Monday and Tuesday as the military took control of the central business district as the residents deserted the town.
Garissa town in northern Kenya have been the site of increasing grenade and gun attacks targeting both the Kenyan security forces and civilians since October 2011, when Kenyan military entered Somalia in pursuit of the militant Somali armed group, Al-Shabaab.